I am a San Francisco cop and a huge jazz fan. I walk a foot beat downtown and often walked past Le Joulin Restaurant on Ellis St . I would often stop and talk to BJ and listen to him play with Bishop Norman and the boys. We became fast friends and he asked me if I played and I told him I played the sax. He would encourage me to sit in with him and finally one night I did. BJ was just great as we played “Naima” and “My favorite Things”. BJ was just so supportive and great. I felt I hit a milestone being able to play with such great musical talent and even better men. BJ was the man…gentle and reassuring, a man with a wonderful way about himself. There is no doubt that San Francisco lost a premier jazz man and BJ will be truly and sorely missed. I will think about BJ when I walk my beat downtown. I miss BJ Papa already…may he rest in peace among the angels in the universe…Kevin Martin S.F.P.D. #24…